Case Study: Global Electronics Manufacturer
“How to have uncomfortable conversations was an important lesson learned.”
- Established social justice & equity as an organizational value
- More equitable recruitment & hiring
- Learned how to have difficult conversations
- From Ally to Accomplice 5 Month program for 12 leadership staff members
- Leadership Team Engagements
- Executive Coaching
- Built new recruitment partnerships to improve hiring
- Increased awareness of and fostered antiracist practices in all facets of life
- Identified areas for improvement within the organization
About the Organization
This global electronics manufacturer is a company whose reputation is built on innovation, reliability and durability. The organization includes 12 members of the leadership team, with a total staff of 85 full-time and temporary employees. They are a leading provider of rugged mobile power solutions to the U.S. military, public safety and warehousing industries.
Before The Woke Coach
Before working with The Woke Coach, many folks in this organization “didn't know what we didn't know.” The work that the organization and The Woke Coach did together shined bright lights on areas that needed significant improvement. Before the training, the organization thought they were aware, during the training, the team felt like they were learning a lot, and after the training, they realized how much more there is that they still need to learn.
Why did they engage The Woke Coach?
Following the murder of George Floyd, the president of the organization contacted The Woke Coach looking for a partner to help them take action professionally and personally.
The Woke Coach engaged a cohort of 12 leadership team members in the five-month version of our signature program, From Ally to Accomplice®. This offering is specifically designed for leaders and managers who are committed to authentic personal and professional cultural competency leadership development, and creating inclusive workplaces.
The program included:
- Intercultural Development Inventory® (IDI) for each cohort member and a team review session
- 5 one-on-one coaching sessions for the team lead
- 4 team engagement sessions for the full cohort
- 1 capstone session for the full cohort
Since completing the program, the organization feels the biggest impact was sending the message to all of its employees that social justice and equity is important to the company. The organization identified areas to improve and is actively working toward making changes. Immediate changes were made to the hiring and recruitment process, including who to select as partners and how to include a diverse group of candidates when filling positions.
The leadership team also got to know each other in a much deeper way than they ever would have through their work with The Woke Coach. Their understanding of each other and of the lived experiences of other employees have all broadened and inspired them to be a more inclusive workplace.